(Author: Libyan Gazette Editorial Staff)
On Tuesday, Libyan authorities released 54 Tunisian fishermen who had been arrested by Libyan coastguard officers while the fishermen were in Libyan waters.
The news of the fishermen’s release was confirmed by a local Tunisian news agency after they had communicated with the brother of one of the 54 fishermen. The brother said he has spoken with the lawyer representing his brother who confirmed that the fishermen were released.
Beleed Nawara, head of consulate affairs for the Libyan Foreign Ministry, announced the release of the fishermen after the court gave its verdict. Nawara said that the court will be delivering another verdict that will allow the fishermen to take back their boats and head home.
The fishermen were detained on November 15 when the Libyan navy found them illegally entering Libyan waters. The 54 fishermen were aboard three boats. Following their arrest the fishermen were taken to Al-Zawiya before heading to the Libyan capital, Tripoli, where they were interrogated. Following their interrogation, the fishermen were then taken back to Al-Zawiya to be tried at a courthouse, which on Tuesday released a verdict to free the fishermen.