(Author: Libyan Gazette Editorial Staff)
Only one district remains in the hands of ISIS, said Libyan forces who have been in battle against ISIS fighters since Sunday.
On Monday, a neighbourhood in Sirte known as Number One has been “completely liberated” and Libyan troops are currently “in the process of cleaning any remnants of Daesh (ISIS)” from the recently liberated neighbourhood, said Rida Issa, the spokesperson for the Libyan forces.
It has been three months since the Government of National Accord (GNA) launched an offensive against ISIS in Sirte. Libyan forces received military support in the form of an airstrike campaign from the US military earlier this month.
Hospital officials say the clashes on Monday resulted in the death of at least six Libyan soldiers and 12 others were wounded.